DepressionDepression is a serious medical illness; it’s not something that you have made up in your head. It’s more than just feeling “down in the dumps” or “blue” for a few days. Its feeling “down” and “low” and “hopeless” for weeks at a time.
Signs & Symptoms
* Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
* Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
* Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
* Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed.
* Children and adolescents
* Older adults
* Information about medications some mental illnesses also carry an increased risk for suicide.